CanIMPACT hosted a 2-day Consultative Workshop on March 31st and April 1st, 2016 in Toronto. The workshop brought together our team members, various stakeholders from across Canada, and international liaisons from Australia and the United States. We had 74 attendees from 9 provinces with representation from primary care, cancer specialists, knowledge users, researchers and patients, who contributed their ideas and expertise to provide a direction for the second phase of CanIMPACT. On day 1, attendees had the opportunity to learn about the latest findings from the first phase of CanIMPACT, including:
- administrative database analyses related to breast cancer diagnosis, treatment and survivorship across 5 provinces (British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario and Nova Scotia)
- qualitative interviews with breast and colorectal cancer survivors regarding their experiences with continuity/coordination of care
- qualitative interviews with healthcare providers to understand coordination/continuity of cancer care between community-based primary healthcare and specialist care
- focus groups with primary care team practices regarding their experiences, desired roles, and education needs with respect to personalized medicine, and
- the CanIMPACT Casebook of Canadian initiatives that aim to improve or support continuity and coordination of patient care between primary care providers and oncology specialists.
In the second half of day 1, attendees broke into smaller groups and worked together to develop a set of recommendations for the second phase of the CanIMPACT project, which will involve intervention research. During the second day, participants discussed their recommendations for interventions to improve integration of care between primary care and cancer specialists. With the help of a facilitator, we were able to reach agreement on the next steps for CanIMPACT through a deliberative process of discussion and refinement of ideas. Please see below for the full report and appendices, and the meeting report published in Current Oncology. Click here for information regarding our Intervention Study.
Grunfeld E, Petrovic B. Consultative workshop proceedings of the Canadian team to improve community-based cancer care along the continuum. Curr Oncol. 2017;24(2):135-40.